Friday, August 3, 2007

Geotechnical

After a lot of dialing I found a structural engineer with a bit of free time to design a pier wall for me, but he needs a "geotech" (soils engineer) to "write a memorandum" (technically describe the soil stability parameters) first. Fortunately there's a geotech who lives close by my house and rides his horse along the fire road right behind our lot a couple times a month! He told me yesterday he watched us build the playhouse (he liked the framing).

He'll be stopping by today to glance at the site to form an opinion. I think he might even do this gratis!

I've told both engineers that my goal is to drill the pier holes this weekend, but given that it's already Friday morning, I don't think it's gonna happen. I'll be installing baseboard moulding inside instead.

Update: I dropped by the equipment rental yard this morning to check out the 18" drill bits for a Bobcat mounted drill rig. They tell me I can swap from bucket to drill and back myself with no tools. Awesome.

No comments: