Friday, August 3, 2007

Designing for the ice age

I spoke with the geotech who stopped by my place around lunchtime as planned. He says it's just as he thought, my yard is part of the landslide material that started at the top of the mountain and stopped a couple miles away in the valley. I'm about in the middle, on the foot of the mountain.

The soil in my yard is "landslide deposit junk" of clay, boulders, and everything in between. The slide happened about 20,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age.

The geotech says that the soil is rock hard now but will turn into mud a few weeks into the rainy season and slide into the yard. He also said he'd give me a "great cat rate" because our cat Hirame stalked him around the yard so much that he was delayed getting back to the truck where his wife took Hirame's picture. He's a cat person himself, among his cats is a 16 year old Siamese that they take camping and horse riding.

His quick spreadsheet calculation says a 5' wall needs 18" piers on 6' centers, 6.5' deep. That's doable, especially if I don't hit any boulders...

No comments: